Imagination - Creativity - Innovation for Everyone Everywhere
· Spark local, regional, state and provincial, and national movements to create environments—in homes, schools, workplaces, communities and public offices—where every person is inspired to grow creatively.
· Develop grassroots networks of organizations and regions to facilitate the exchange of ideas, models and “best questions” as well as providing support and processes for those who want to take part.
· Serve as a national and international thought leader and influential policy voice for matters related to imagination, creativity, and innovation.
· Seek new national and global partners whom we can engage, connect, understand, and promote.
· Provide high quality, synthesized, and timely information across geographies, sectors, problems, activities, and needs.
· Facilitate cross-sectoral (education, commerce, culture, and government) and cross-regional work that tackles difficult and perennial obstacles to progress in North America.
We accept the following working definitions for our work, adapted with permission from the book imagination first: Unlocking the Power of Possibility by Eric Liu and Scott Noppe-Brandon (Jossey-Bass, 2009):
Imagination is the capacity to conceive of what is not yet present or manifest.
Creativity is imagination applied (“imagination at work”) to do or make something that flows from the prior capacity to conceive of the new.
Innovation consists of further creative actions that advance the form, depth, reach, and richness of that which has been brought into being.
“Our best hope for the future is to develop a new paradigm of human capacity to meet a new era of human existence. We need to evolve a new appreciation of the importance of nurturing human talent along with an understanding of how human talent expresses itself differently in every individual. We need to create environments – in our schools, in our workplaces, and in our public offices – where every person is inspired to grow creatively . . . . because as the world evolves, the very future of our communities and institutions will depend on it.”
Sir Ken Robinson, Honorary Chairman of the National Creativity Network in The Element (Penguin, 2009)
The creation, support, and encouragement of a National Creativity Network requires an unprecedented level of collaboration among groups of like-minded and active organizations and individuals across this continent. We are especially desirous of linking with formal networks of people and multiple organizations that cross government, culture, commerce, and education sectors within specific location(s) that are already active in transforming their respective spheres of influence. We also welcome national and international organizations located in Canada, Mexico, United States, and their territories, who will stand with us in endorsing and promoting imagination, creativity, and innovation throughout their respective organizations and supporting in appropriate ways the work of coalitions in communities across North America.
We look forward to hearing your thoughts about this exciting venture, your current actions, and your future plans. We believe that by sharing our insights, resources, and efforts we will all find deeper reservoirs of strength for the journey ahead of us. We suspect that powerful cross-regional projects within the network will arise over time that would never have occurred without participation in such a collaborative network.
The NCN is an Oklahoma-registered nonprofit with IRS tax exempt status and welcomes funds and in-kind contributions from sponsors to support its efforts. The National Creativity Network may be contacted through www.nationalcreativitynetwork.org or by contacting our Board Chair, George Tzougros, Executive Director, Wisconsin Arts Board, firstname.lastname@example.org; 608-516-7658.
Every Friday we transmit an NCN news blast that covers events, resources, and other news about imagination, creativity, and innovation around the world. If you have news to share please send a brief description and the relevant link to your site or event to email@example.com. Your news item will literally travel around the globe through our diverse national and international connections.